These 2 somatic activities will foster a calming response and help with self-regulation of stress. Try them out and don’t hesitate to reach out with any questions.
This breathing technique assists with oxygenation, detoxification, sleep, and digestion.
- Extend the arms out from the body 90 degrees with the left palm facing up and the right palm facing down.
- Start breathing with a 4-7-8 breath pattern (4 counts inhaling, 7 counts hold, 8 counts slowly exhaling) repeat several times. Over time work up to 10 repetitions.
- Extend the arms above the head with same hand position and do one 4-7-8 breath.
- Repeat process with the right palm up, and left palm facing down.
The Basic Exercise
This exercise works the ventral or frontal branch of the Vagus Nerve, along the visual processing center. It is suggested to do this exercise before getting up in the morning, and before going to sleep at night.
- Place your hands behind the head with the thumbs at the base of the occiput (skull). Create a comfy nestle and notice if you can feel slight movements in the next 2 steps.
- Without rotating the head, look to the left for 60 seconds. (Without straining the eyes).
- Without rotating the head, look to the right for 60 seconds. (Without straining the eyes)
- Optional: add the 4-7-8 breaths during this exercise, as 3-cycles will equal nearly a minute.