What Causes Back Pain?
The back is a complicated structure of bones, joints, discs, ligaments nerves and muscles. You can sprain ligaments, strain muscles, rupture discs, and irritate joints, all of which can lead to back pain.
While sports injuries or accidents can cause back pain, sometimes the simplest of movements—for example, picking up a pencil from the floor— can have painful results.
In addition, arthritis, poor posture, obesity, and psychological stress can cause or complicate back pain. Back pain can also directly result from disease of the internal organs, such as kidney stones, kidney infections, blood clots, or bone loss. One of the most common causes of back pain is spinal subluxation.
Back Pain Facts
- One-half of all working Americans admit to having back pain symptoms each year.
- Back pain is one of the most common reasons for missed work.
- In fact, back pain is the second most common reason for visits to the doctor’s office, outnumbered only by upper-respiratory infections.
- Most cases of back pain are mechanical or non-organic—meaning they are not caused by serious conditions, such an inflammatory arthritis, infection, fracture or cancer.
- Americans spend at least $50 billion each year on back pain—and that’s just for the more easily identified costs.
- Experts estimate that as many as 80% of the population will experience a back problem at some time in our lives.
Do Chiropractic Adjustments Work As a Treatment for Back Pain?
Used primarily by Doctors of Chiropractic (DCs) for the last century, chiropractic adjustment has been largely ignored by most others in the health care community until recently. Now, with today’s growing emphasis on treatment and cost effectiveness, the chiropractic adjustment is receiving more widespread attention. A recent study by Blue Cross Blue Shield ( BCBS ) determined that patients seeking care for back pain from a doctor of chiropractic saved 20-30% over those seeking traditional medical care.
Chiropractic adjustments are a safe, natural, effective holistic spine pain treatment for back pain relief. They reduce pain, allow for decreases in medication, and decrease the need for passive forms of treatment, such as bed rest. They may help restore natural range of motion or joint restriction allowing more freedom of movement. This can reduce localized tissue inflammation and reduce pressure on nerves. Nervous system involvement is the most serious effect of back problems ( spinal subluxation ).
In fact, after an extensive study of all currently available care for low back problems, the Agency for Health Care Policy and Research—a federal government research organization—recommended that low back pain sufferers choose the most conservative care first.
In fact it has recommended chiropractic adjustment as the only safe and effective, drugless form of initial professional treatment for acute low back pain in adults.
What Are Some Tips to Prevent Back Pain?
- Have a professional spinal evaluation by a doctor of chiropractic. Doctor Tom Whittington DC of Asheville NC has been helping those with back pain for over 2 decades. Preventative measures are the best way to avoid painful surprises. Everyone of every age should have an evaluation even if symptoms are not present. (Think of the dentist)
- Maintain a healthy diet and weight. Healthy weight takes pressure off the knees, ankles, feet and low back.
- Remain active—under the supervision of your doctor of chiropractic.
- Avoid prolonged inactivity or bed rest.
- Warm up or stretch before exercising or other physical activities, such as gardening.
- Maintain proper posture.
- Wear comfortable, low-heeled shoes.
- Sleep on a mattress of medium firmness to minimize any curve in your spine.
- Lift with your knees, keep the object close to your body, and do not twist when lifting.
- Quit smoking. Smoking impairs blood flow, resulting in oxygen and nutrient deprivation to spinal tissues.
- Work with your doctor of chiropractic to ensure that your computer workstation is ergonomically correct.
Back Care Class Filmed at Whittington Chiropractic in Asheville, NC
This was filmed at Whittington Chiropractic in Asheville, NC. In this video, you will find common causes of back pain. Also discussed is how to prevent injury by performing our daily activities properly. This is a two part video.
Contact our office to get your specific questions answered about chiropractic care. We will be happy to assist you in moving towards a healthier more comfortable life with your back. Call 828-298-0011 today for a free consultation with Dr. Whittington or click here to make an appointment online